Highlands is proud to be part of the Accelerated Reader program. If you haven’t heard about this from your kids, ask them about it. The students can read just about any book published and then take a comprehension test online. They are scored on the test and gather points for each test taken. This doesn’t effect their classroom grades, however.
The results for September have been outstanding. We are so proud of Highlands students!
2nd grade – 356 books – 416,973 words
3rd grade – 612 books – 1,671,223 words *** a new record
4th grade – 270 books – 2,786,143 words
5th grade – 221 books, 4,098,070 words
6th grade- 183 books – 2,653,778 words
School Totals – Year
1,934 books – 16,550,716 words
The first PFO meeting of the year was held last night. We had a great turnout and I want to thank everyone who took the time out of their busy evening to attend. I wanted to run down a few of the things that were discussed for those of you who weren’t able to make it.
- A new PFO budget was approved for the 2013-2014 school year. While we have fewer student this year (493), we are hopeful that we’ll be able to bring in even more money than we did last year.
- We now have the ability to take credit cards at school functions. I know this will really help out a lot of families. We are set up for Visa and MasterCard. You will be able to pay for your spirit pack this Thursday at Back-to-School Night. You will also be able to pay for carnival tickets during the Halloween Haunt in October.
- We talked about Teacher Appreciation Week and brainstormed some ideas of how to show our appreciation for all our teachers do for our kids.
- We encourage everyone to order their school t-shirts and sweatshirts with their spirit pack. We will also have these items for sale throughout the year as well.
- Yearbooks will only be offered at a discount if purchased with the spirit pack at the beginning of the school year. There will be limited amounts to purchase at the end of the year, but the price will be significantly higher.
- Mindy Peacock is putting together a montage of photos to display at school. Please send in any school photos you have taken that you would like to contribute to email@example.com
- We have until September 21 to vote for Highlands at GiveWithTarget on Facebook. We will earn $1.00 for each vote… and you can vote once each week. Please tell your friends and family to vote for us as well.
- September 12 from 4pm – 9pm is our first restaurant fundraiser at Wendy’s on Bouquet Canyon. Wendy’s will donate 20% back to Highlands. Restaurant fundraisers are an easy way to help donate to the school.
- Next Tuesday, August 27 at 7pm will be the first Highlands Haunt meeting to discuss the upcoming carnival (scheduled for October 25). Olga Atkinson, the carnival chair, needs as many volunteers as possible to make this the best carnival yet. If you can’t make it and would like to help anyway, please let her know.
The next PFO meeting will be on September 10, 2013 at 7:00pm in the MPR.